Tuesday, April 9, 2013

ghana lessons.

My first trip to Africa was in 2003.
It was during that time I learned to adore and admire
the people, the languages, the cultures, the ways of life.

This painting was acquired there,
and it reminds me so much of what I love about Ghana:
color, hard work, patterns, family, 
pure beauty, natural resources, modesty.

Gye Nyame = Except God
This is the name of a very common Ghanaian symbol that means 
'except God is present, noting is possible.'
I had it silk screened on a shirt while I was there:

I needed a way to feature these in my home.

My dear friend, Mary, gave us these great bamboo 
place mats 5 years ago for our wedding.

They are still used on a daily basis,
which is why some of them are fraying at the ends.

I fixed one of them right up
and used it as a backing for my beloved painting.

I also purchased a large embroidery hoop
and used it to frame my Gye Nyame.

Now I can be reminded of lessons learned 
while working in my office.

2 comments:

  1. You are so resourceful!! I wish I could spend a day in your head listening to your considerations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that lady! You let me borrow her for school and I feel like she is my friend.

    ReplyDelete