Thursday, January 10, 2013

mona lisa of the north.

This bland bathroom wall had been blank long enough.

I chose meaningful pictures and painted interesting frames.

The first one was the most simple. 
 
 It's a hand painted watercolor of Sacre-Coeur in Paris.

The others took more deliberate planning.
I silhouetted each item before putting any holes in the wall.

It worked like a freaking charm.

I immediately loved 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' by Vermeer
when I saw the original painting in Den Haag.

The center painting is another by Vermeer.
It is a view of Delft, one of my favorite cities in Holland.

The candlesticks on the right are "Delft Blue,"
a sampling of the world-famous earthenware produced in Delft.

I got to visit parts of Europe 10 years ago
when I visited my oldest brother during his PhD research.
This is a great reminder of a great trip.

7 comments:

  1. I was so proud of myself for recognizing the Girl with a Pearl Earring painting until I realized it was because of Scarlett Johannson. But I'm pretty sure I just redeemed myself by misspelling Scarlett Johannson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Oh Yeah! I never saw that movie. You should come over and we can watch it together ... while painting something:)

      Delete
  2. And just when I think you have topped yourself, you go and do it again! Really girl, what an awesome idea! I knew about cutting paper for pictures but never for shelves or candlesticks. Ahhhmaaazzing!!! I love how it all came together. Very nice. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I learned the picture trick from that younghouselove.com couple (I study their blog all the time). I just figured that if I wanted a preview of how it all would look, candlestickes and all, I should do it for everything I was planning on using. It really helped with making sure the shelves were straight - no guessing.

      Delete
  3. P.S. Could you please make the pictures bigger when you post? I'd like to see all the projects in their amazing glory as big as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're nice:) I've thought about it, but I have so many issues with posting pictures as is, I sometimes don't want to mess with it. If you click on the picture it should enlarge - at least it does for me. Let me know if it works.

      Delete
  4. I am continually amazed at you are able to combine different things and have them "match" in theme or color or.....I don't know how you do it and I WISH I DID. I love how you combine candles with other things in several places in your home. I'd like to do it here, if I could figure it out.

    ReplyDelete