Sunday, January 6, 2013

tiled night table.

I haven't had a night table on my side of the bed for a while.

That's why I was pretty excited to find this on guy the curb 
while taking one of my young women home one night:
 That poor young women was mortified when I pulled over 
and hefted this spider infested piece of garbage into my car.

After sanding and painting, I decided to try tiling the top.
I played with a few different patterns - none felt quite right.


I wanted more gray, but Home Depot didn't have much for me.
Then I remembered that our backyard lawn 
is strewn with these little stones:


I hand-picked the flattest and grayest ones.
After washing, placing, and gluing them down,
it was time to grout ... the part I was most nervous about.

I'm definitely not a professional, that's for sure,
but I think it turned out ok!

The inside of the drawers were pretty grody, 

so I lined them with cork.


I hope the next time that young woman sees this night table
she isn't quite as disgusted.






5 comments:

  1. I love the image of your yw's "mortified" face. Way to teach her the value of resourcefulness! I also love your description of the drawer as "grody". Home run blog post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks!! That yw deserves some credit as she actually helped me get it into my trunk, and it was pretty gross. Hahaha!

      Delete
  2. I love it! I would have had the same response as she did, but knowing your awesome re-purposing skills I would have helped you put it in your car! :) I love the tile, the stones, and especially the cork liners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You could be my partner now. I'll give you a call for the next piece of junk I pick up:)

      Delete
  3. How do you "know" that you want a piece of junk on the side of the road? I mean, can you mentally "see" what you can do with it?

    ReplyDelete